Thursday, March 25, 2010

CRAZY HEART



The harder the life, the sweeter the song.

Directed by:
Scott Cooper
Run time: 112 min

I have no expectation whatsoever for this film so as I watched it, it came as a surprise that Colin Farrell is here and he sings country song.

Actually the reason I watch this because Jeff Bridges already won Best Actor at the Oscars, so I kind of expect Daniel Day Lewis's performance in There Will Be Blood sort of thing. My expectations were too high since Jeff Bridges is just okay in this film.

Sure he played a burn out country singer who try to find his redemption and love in his old age. That itself is an Oscar material, but the story itself is not that satisfying. It is not as good as The Wrestler.

So why did Jeff Bridges won an Oscar? Because he has been nominated four times (speaking of most nomination with no winning Peter O'Toole is the master of this category) and the same reason why Martin Scorsese won Best Director for
The Departed not for Taxi Driver or Raging Bull: because it is their turn this time and there might be no next time at all so better give it now or history will be harsh to the Academy.

Kinda cruel? I don't think so since I think that sometimes some awards given by the Oscar were given because it it their 'turn', although still deserved, not because the film has risen beyond horizon.

Check Gran Torino for instance. Why hasn't it won Oscar for Best Picture? Because Clint Eastwood already won Oscar from
Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby, it's time to give it to someone else (Paul Thomas Anderson anyone?).

Honestly I don't like the 'it's my turn' principle. I think
Gran Torino and There Will Be Blood should won many Oscars instead of that generic Slumdog Millionaire regardless whether Clint has won Oscar for his previous movies or not.

To think that
Slumdog won as many Oscars as Amadeus is an atrocity, (Amadeus is superb while Slumdog is just okay) not that I hate Slumdog, but I think There Will Be Blood is more deserved.

Back to the movie, the story is not that bad, it is just okay. What makes it stand out is the performance of Maggie Gyllenhaal and Colin Farrell. Sure Jeff gives all his talents by making Bad Blake (his character) a sympathetic and broken down alcoholic loser without too much self pity, but seeing other best actor nomination this year, he won easily. It's not like he is up against Sam Rockwell in Moon
anyway. Wait the minute, even the academy fail to pay attention to the superbly made Moon. Crazy Heart? I am not so crazy about it.

No comments: