Thursday, April 15, 2010

CLASH OF THE TITANS



Directed by: Louis Leterrier
Run time: 106 min

Is it redundant to start this review by stating that I am not a big fan of Greek mythology? I think it is but heck, I still write it down anyway.

Some of my friends who are big fans of Greek mythology felt disappointed with this film. As for me, this is just a movie, they can make Perseus the son of Kraken and Hades if they wanted to (and I think it is cool to have a pregnant Hades bitching around about daily minutiae in Olympus).

So after listening to some bad reviews from my friend about this particular movie, I embrace myself to watch it, not in 3 D since everybody call the convert is suck, but in glourious 2 D.

Since I have low expectation (I kinda hope that this is the expensive version of Hercules the Legendary Journeys TV Series with Kevin Sorbo), I actually enjoy Clash and I can say that it is not as bad as most people told me and certainly not as bad as New Moon and 2012. It is entertaining although the plot is wafer thin and Sam Worthington is the only Greek with no beard or long hair, which makes things a bit strange.

No need to tell the plot since it is easy to guess from the poster that Perseus is on a mission to kill Kraken or the city of Argos destroyed to dust by the anger of Zeus. Oh and Hades is in it too, trying to milk the situation in order for greater power. To think that this whole shebang started because humans are fed up with Gods is also nice, it seems that Zeus need people to worship him. What lack is the love story. Louis Letterier seems to discard any sort of romance from this film.

The effects and cinematography is beyond average and you will enjoy the sight of Perseus flying with pegasus to save Argos from destruction while trying to kill Kraken.

As for the acting, Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes is giving their best while Sam Worthington is the weakest of all, acted flat and have near zero emotion which makes you wonder that this guy is very lucky to have landed roles in expensive movies.

There is also a problem with the script, it seems there is lack of causality or motives for Perseus to pursue a journey to kill Kraken and some of the dialogs are corny.

Contrary to most remakes I have reviewed or seen, I have seen the 1981 version and I think in terms of visual enjoyment (not in terms of story and acting), this one is a huge improvement.

So for those who are not a big fan of Greek mythology, this one is a sweet candy that will make you happy. And for those who is a big fan of Greek mythology, this film is an atrocity at it's best.

Hey at least the phrase 'Release the Kraken' has now replaced 'This is Sparta' as one of the corniest phrase being duplicated in popular culture.

No comments: