Thursday, January 27, 2011

THE MAN FROM NOWHERE



Directed: Jeong-beom Lee


Won Bin? Yeah I know the guy, no I don't know him because he used to be my school friend I just know him by reputation. Besides I don't spend my youth in South Korea. However upon hearing that name I promptly think that this new film from Won Bin is a romance one. Well I was wrong, although I have no interest in watching South Korean romantic movies but when I learned that Won Bin is going to kick some ass, it wakes my curiosity. Especially since I learned that this film is the highest box office holder for 2010 in South Korea. There has to be something right?

So the South Korean movie prince is playing Tae-shik, a pawnshop guy with annoying hair cut (we have to see this annoying hair cut for 50% of the movie duration). He is so mysterious, we cannot even see his eyes since that annoying hair cover half of his face. However his loner attitude is something of a template, we know that this quiet guy will make some noise.

Tae-Shik only connection with life (if you define life is something full of other people) is a little girl, So-mi, who lives nearby. Her mother, Hyo-jeong is a prostitute who smuggles drugs from a drug trafficking organization and entrusts Tae-shik with the product, without letting him know.

Yes, something beyond Tae-Shik's control will take control of his life. The rest of the story is familiar, Tae-Shik turns out to have this martial art capability of dicing people in pieces, not literally and the whole movie is about Tae-Shik trying to protect that little girl from the bad guys by doing bad things. It turns out that Tae-Shik is not just a mere pawnshop guy, but some bad ass trying to lay low. Lesson learned; don't mess with a quiet guy, especially the one with weird hair cut.

Actually I was hoping for some mind fuck twist in the end, just like
Oldboy, but the whole film is in a linear line and no twist will fuck your mind, literally or figuratively. Some twist is here and there but not obvious and I think a 15 year old with 3 seconds attention span can understand it.

However the film is not boring, it is even exciting to watch Won Bin kick ass and at certain point I am afraid that this film will go in the way of making Won Bin shirtless and went berserk, just like those B-movies. Well he did went shirtless for a few seconds which is a bit weird since I have no idea what was that for but the rest of the movie he keep his shirt on.

I also learned that this is Won Bin's first action film and I do hope that he will acted in this genre more, he got the talent as long as in the next movie he doesn't sport that annoying hair cut.

No comments: