Monday, January 30, 2012

PEARL JAM TWENTY


Directed by: Cameron Crowe
Run Time: 109 min
 
I am a fan of Pearl Jam since I was a teenager. Eddie Vedder's voice is amazing and I have listen to almost all of their songs. However I will not let my love for Pearl Jam to tarnish my review since this is a documentary about Pearl Jam not about the music, which I really like.

I have to admit, if I listen to music and I like it I just listen to it and doesn't even bother to know where the band comes from or even what the vocalist or the singer looks like. Heck, I just knew Drake's face few months ago yet I have listen to his songs for such a long time.

For me this one is enlightening, since I get to know Eddie Vedder's face for the first time [insert your sigh here]. Didn't mean to be rude but I listen to Pearl Jam not watch their faces one by one and try to memorize it in case I stumble into one of them in the mall. Besides there is near zero chance I will stumble upon them here in Indonesia. This means I am just an average fan, not some hardcore fan. However their songs are amazing to me.

So it begins in linear, the beginning of grunge rock movement in Seattle in the early 90s. A lot of stock footage was shown and very nice, it has the look of 90's MTV. As we all know, the 90s were ruled by Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

I do listen to Nirvana and know the face of Kurt Cobain though, in case you wonder. It is interesting to watch the ups and downs the inner work of Pearl Jam as they grow from zero to hero. Through various interviews (so that's their faces, I mumble to myself) the viewers will get to know tidbits, conflicts, dreams and opinions of people and themselves about their career.

I kinda wished that there will be several full footage of their performance and a little bit disappointed that most of it were just cuts and shorts. I am looking forward for the concert video though. This documentary reveals nothing new at all, it feels like any MTV documentary made in the 90s, and that's another disappointment from me.

No comments: