Wednesday, July 25, 2012

OH-PINION: WATCH OUT WE GOT A FANBOY OVER HERE!

Breaking the tradition of just writing movie reviews here, I dare myself to express my written opinion which I try to write at least once or twice each month, to spice up things here. I think I can say that I'm fed up with hypes, especially hype surrounding a certain movie. What I mean is that in the age of minute by minute update from social networking site and news site, people can get to know the news about their favorite movie in faster.

They get to know casting rumors, paparazzi taking pictures on the set, discussion board, leaked scripts, speculations and so on and so on. They can also post/share it on their social networking site, flooding our timeline with their obsession.

I take the case of The Dark Knight Rises, one of the most anticipated movie of this year. Sure, I do anticipate it but in a quiet way. I could, if I wanted to, browse and try to find news on the film but I chose not to because I want to have a pristine experience as I walked into the cinema. But I find it difficult. Although I didn't click on the links people posted on the film on the social networking site, but upon seeing the link itself, after some time and after too much link, is getting annoying.

I don't get it, sure they are excited but hold on to your horses. Must you always satiate your thirst for every tiny detail on the movie you like? Doesn't it decrease the excitement as you watch the film? Wouldn't it be easier for you to just sit back, relax and not knowing everything before you watch a film?

I remember as I watched The Dark Knight, I didn't know much about the story and blown away by the twists and brilliance of the film. I would not get such experience if I keep reading about any tiny detail film before the film released let alone spoilers. Spoilers, the crucial ones, ruin your experience. Say anything you want but I hate spoilers.

Then comes the film and the reviews. There are fanboys reviews and neutral one. The fanboys will praise it and see that the film has no flaws at all, the neutral ones point out weaknesses and strength and the one that bashed the film got bashed back.

It is reported that recently the site rotten tomatoes disabled comment function on The Dark Knight Rises reviews due to floods of lashes from 'certain' readers who dislike certain bad review. I think it is too much. Sure it is fine to like something but to like it too much is just annoying. These people should learn that there are other people with different opinion in this world. The number of fanboys reviewing films adapted from comic book and praising it with as many superlatives as possible, is too damn high!

As for me, I cannot be a fanboy of anything. I can like a movie but can still see that even in the most thought provoking film, there are still minor flaws here and there.

A film which is adapted from any other material should stand alone in its own and bitch please, I don't like it when some people say that I should read the book/comic/poem/whatever the original source material, in order to understand the whole film.


So what does Wesley Sneijder and Sergio Ramos has to do with this? Nothing. I just want to put a picture here for no reason.


No comments: