Monday, October 08, 2012

TED


Directed by: Seth McFarlane
Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Mila Kunis, Seth McFarlane
Running time: 106 min


"When you hear the sound of thunder, / Don't you get too scared. / Just grab your thunder buddy / And say these magic words: / "Fuck you, thunder! / You can suck my dick! / You can't get me thunder / 'Cause you're just God's farts!"

Well, I am not going to say 'fuck you thunder' since I am not afraid of thunder, or spiders, or zombies but I am afraid of Apache helicopters chasing me in a field. As to why it chases me I think it is because I always watch a movie until the last words in the credit title.

Obnoxious, politically incorrect, rude but funny and frank is who Ted is, a stuffed Teddy Bear comes to life after little John wished he had a friend. Fast forward to the future, John (Wahlberg) a 35 year old guy suffering from arrested adolescence. Working on a car rental company with absurd friends, John dates Lori (Kunis), the beautiful but nice girl next door who just happened to have a better career.

As expected bromance vs romance is happening here as John has to choose between his juvenile bromance with Ted or romance with Lori. But it does not end in a conventional way. In fact Lori is the nice girl and John is the one who has to struggle to contain his inner child. The friendship between Ted and John is typical of males where they can insult each other but still being friends.

For those who are 30 years old or more, they can laugh upon so many jokes in this film. First you have Ted being obnoxious and sexist, then you have Sam Jones make a parody of himself as Flash Gordon and then there's Tom Skeritt and Ryan Reynolds.

I didn't remember when the last time I laugh so loud at the cinema. I know the jokes are adults only but I think McFarlane has succeeded in making a brand new adult themed comedy without having to rely on remakes or frat college jokes but on lists of white trash names. May those names still available, if there is a sequel to be made.

No comments: