Monday, December 06, 2010

SCOTT PILGRIM vs. THE WORLD



Directed by: Edgar Wright

I am not a big fan of game or console. I don't even have one. Sure I have once played a game on Nintendo, PlayStation and PC, but not XBox. I just play for the sake of curiosity and I didn't even play all of the games, it is just a simple fun for me. In fact, I am not a gamer at all and I am not interested that much in game.

Not only that, I don't watch movies adapted from video games seriously, not only it has bad quality, I am not interested in it at all.

So this movie is the combination of things I rarely do in my life, reading comics and playing a video game, although I am familiar with its visual style. As for me I didn't read Scott Pilgrim comic at all, I tend to see this film as a stand alone art.

At first I am a bit skeptical on this film, it is a bit campy and laughable but then after I saw it, actually this one is cool and fun to watch. Unlike that excruciating Uwe Boll's adaptation, this one is full with hyper indie music and quirkiness.

At the center of this movie is Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera) some sort of guy next door with ueber geek/nerdy attitude. He dated a High School girl and hasn't recovered from being dumped by his ex-girlfriend.

Then he falls for Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) some sort of generic version of Summer from (500) Days of Summer, lest bitchy though.

But to win Ramona's heart is an uphill battle for Scott, he has to fight her seven ex-lovers (one of them is a girl!) to have Ramona. Not only that he has problems with his High School Girlfriend. In the ultimate battle, he will settle all bad bloods and tie all the knots.

Anyone familiar with video game visual style will be entertained by this third film from Edgar Wright, there are heavy use of CGI to enhance the story and all the funny things that can make you feel nostalgic as you have once play arcade games as you were a boy. This is a homage to video game culture and please, just suspend you disbelief for this one since everything and everyone in this movie seem to have no problems with characters suddenly fighting and destroying each other in a video game fashion. If you never ever played any arcade games or video games at all, don't bother watching this one, it could bore you.

The story itself is quite fresh and interesting, how the search and battle for love can be tied into video game culture is an achievement of it's own. Actually I don't know which game this movie adhere into (if there is one) but I can enjoy the whole thing.

As for Michael Cera, I think he need to chose another role besides being a nerdy and a social misfit character, he began to look like a typecast for such role.

No comments: