Tuesday, May 08, 2012

THE AVENGERS


Directed by: Joss Whedon
Run time: 142 min

Out of the ordinary I am reviewing a summer movie. Not that I rarely seen blockbuster movies but I think it is quite a strain to review it since I know, popcorn movies that can reduce your logical thinking 50% are usually not my cup of coffee. I did watch Transformers 3 which I think as a waste of time and money, Iron Man, Captain America and Incredible Hulk are fun but nothing more than that and Thor is enjoyable. So far, minus The Avengers, Thor is my favorite of the adaptation of Marvel superheroes on the screen.

So this is it, the wet dream of Marvel fan boy, where their superheroes assemble to fight the most bad ass and epic fighting that makes you think that the last 30 minutes of the film has only two page of words written but thousands of storyboard to depict the epic battle.

Make no mistake, the battle is breath taking and laden with enough explosions to make sugar rush Michael Bay excited and as Rebecca Black wisely said; fun fun fun fun and I get to chose which seat I should take! By this Whedon manages to give fan boy and non fan boy (which is me in this case) a sweet treat, or in my word a very nice escapist film.

There's no need for me to describe the story but I think it would be useful for viewers to at least watch Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Captain America and Thor, to get the sense of the 'Marvel universe' before watching The Avengers. The jokes are fresh and well placed but the story is just so so. By assembling the superheroes, Whedon, instead of trying to make a story with an impact, tend to play safe.

Whedon could have let one superhero 'gone' and make the viewers wait for the sequel and the fate of the hero in agony. But he didn't do that, he just let the last 30 minutes felt like you just drink coffee with 10 spoon of sugar in it. There's nothing wrong in it, it is fun but after the credits rolled you feel as if it is just an escape with so so substance. The after credit scene is nice but for non Marvel fan boy (again I am pointing at myself) I have no idea who is being shown. I think google might help me.

It's not that I hope this one will have some moral message on humanity or so, but it is just slightly below my expectation. Especially since I cannot help myself putting any superhero movies with Nolan's Batman on the same table. As for me, special effects rarely daze me, but story does and I am always looking for a good story in any film of any genre.

Although it is predicted to gain some cash but the result is surprising, from the first weekend already smashes box office record by sucking US$200 million and it will increase in the coming week. The success stem from the build up to the hype of this film ever since Iron Man released and the lavish praise critics gave.

In short words; the number of epicness in this film is too damn high! And bitch please; Thor's hair (he's using Thor'eal hair products for Asgard's sake!) can beat Green Lantern's crappy ass.

No comments: