Friday, May 25, 2012

MEN IN BLACK 3


Directed by: Barry Sonnenfeld
Run time: 103 min

I'm not going to say that this is the best film of this year but it is fun, Rebecca Black's fun. Besides I am a fan of Will Smith since the day of Fresh Prince of Bel Air. I think he is a versatile actor, he can be funny but also deep. I like most of his movies, apart from Seven Pounds (2008) which I haven't seen until today and whoever says that he didn't deserve to be nominated as Best Actor as Muhammad Ali in Ali (2001) can just kiss Thor's flying mjolnir.

However I do not have too much expectation on the third outing of the Men in Black franchise. I mean what could a big movie sequel offer besides more explosion? But thank God this one doesn't rely on destroying New York City but a simple time travel story.

So Agent J (Will Smith) must be back in time (pun intended) to save the world and Agent K in 1969. Josh Brolin acted as the young Agent K, which is a relief since if it has to be Tommy Lee Jones in prosthetic it will be corny. It involves historical element of Apollo 11 launching and secret of Agent J's past.

Most of the charm comes from Will Smith, he saves so many flat scenes by his jokes. Most of the inside jokes from the earlier films are still intact. The ending is quite a surprise to me and explain why Agent K always having such a wooden expression towards Agent J. However the chemistry between the young Agent K and the, well, always youthful look, Agent J is still interesting to watch. The old formula of odd couple with different taste and background always work.

Will Smith hasn't lost his edge and I am still wondering how come after all this year, Will Smith doesn't age much? Is he an alien?

No comments: