Saturday, November 24, 2012

OBAMA-SELF



Am I the only one who can enjoy watching movies alone all by myself? I'm not being anti social or something but if you watch a movie with more than three people there's a good chance you will never get a good seat. Whether it is in the rear or too far in the front. This happens mostly if the film is a blockbuster one. I remember that when I watched The Avengers I chose to go alone since if I make an announcement in the local press (okay I'm just being hyperbolic here), I might not get a good seat. 

A good seat is important for me, I do not want to sit in the front rows staring at Bruce Willis's skin pores, nor do I want to sit too far back. Why? Well since I paid for the ticket with my hard earned money so I deserve to get what I wanted, that's why.

However in this world, one does not simply get what they want. There are moments when I have to yield to powers greater than I and have to watch a movie where I got to sit in the rear, hurting my delicate neck in the process.

Usually people have this argument; it is the togetherness that counts when you watch movies with bunch of friends. But I beg to differ, I do like hanging out with people, but not at the cinemas while watching a film since we got a place for that called; restaurant, or musiums, or the Army Headquarters or supermarket.

And that is why, whenever I really wanted to see a movie I prefer to go alone (by go alone means that I didn't tell anyone that I planned to watch a certain movie at certain time and place. I also didn't update it on my Facebook and Twitter. People need not know where I have been) and I actually enjoy it. All they need to know that I have done watching the film. There are also times that after I watch a film, I didn't write the review at all so no one knows what I have been watching and I am fine by that.

Although for the first time (it happened years and years ago) I did that, the ticket lady have that surprised look. 'You are going alone?' she said. Then I said with a beaming smile; 'Yeah just me'.

Here's the benefit of watching movies alone;
1. You can (not always but most of the times) get a good seat in the middle row since you are alone, even if the film is about to start in 15 minutes and it is a blockbuster one.

2. You can concentrate better.

3. You can snap and hush people who talked during movies since they are strangers, not your friends. You can be cruel.

4. It is economically cheaper to go alone (sometimes all I want is just to watch a movie, then go home, no pre or post activities), you spared time and money hang out pre and post watching movies at some over the top restaurant that sells lemon tea at the price of Rp.20.000. You can call me stingy if you wanted to. I'm fine by that since it didn't disturb anyone's peace.

5. By going alone it is you who decide when and where will you be watching it. There will be no high ranking officials meeting at the White House to decide when and where.

Okay I admit watching movies with your girlfriend is also fun but just the two of us no more and we sit in the middle. It is not worth it to watch a movie with your girlfriend but you sit directly in front of the screen. However if you are still single (and doesn't really keen to mingle too much), going alone is reccommended. What annoys me are people who said; I can't go watching that movie, I have no one to accompany me. Bitch please.

The most refreshing thing is when I enter the cinema and there's few than 10 people inside the cinema. It happened mostly when the film is independent, non-mainstream and (hold your breath), black and white. The audience tend to be more civilized.

I remember watching After the Curfew at the first day of showing and there's only nine people. It was so quiet and nobody talk. I really enjoy it since the seat next to me is empty and I can put my bag on the empty seat while I scratch my balls without being afraid some strangers might look at me in the act.

I also remember watching Biutiful, it is a Spanish film with running time more than two hours. It is less likely that teenagers and kids will watch it. It is also less likely to be sold out or watched by more than 20 people. I went to the cinema 10 minutes before the film started and got myself a good seat.

I did enjoy the film and as I enter the cinema, there are only nine people there. After I watched the movie and land my scrawny (but smooth and hairless) ass at home I said this to myself; well, that was an amazing experience for me!


No comments: