Friday, January 25, 2013

A YEAR IN REVIEW PART I OR, AN ASTON MARTIN TO REMEMBER


Normally people made their personal 'best [insert year] film' in December but as for me I prefer to do it now because I must watch some movies most critics said are the best of the year first and most of them cannot be watched in December. So I can made my own decision on my own 'best' list. Since I have not seen The Master from one of my favorite director; Paul Thomas Anderson, I will write my 'best [insert year] film' list a little bit later. That is why this one has 'Part I' attached to it since the list will be written in Part II. However I think I should write down my very own movie moments of 2012. Here they are;

My hysterical cinema moment
As the Aston Martin car appears in Skyfall I scream in silence inside my head. It's my favorite movie car and the fact that Skyfall released at the 50th anniversary of James Bond makes it more sentimental for me, a lifelong James Bond fan. My happiness lasted for a short while since the car finally destroyed in the climactic scene.

The most annoying hype
I have to say The Dark Knight Rises wins this time. All the hype surrounding the third Batman film from Christopher Nolan makes me annoyed. Every time I checked in at the social networking site I always see people posting tiny tidbits including spoiler speculation on The Dark Knight Rises. People, can you be patient? Can you just barricade yourself from useless obsession and just wait until the movie is released? The less you know about a film the better your experience. I even wrote a piece about it here. What makes me happy is that in the end The Dark Knight Rises wasn't that good. With plot holes as big as the Pacific Ocean, those fan-boys now can cry in shame. Embrace yourself, Man of Steel hype is about to come this year!

The most amazing soundtrack
I like the score from Cloud Atlas, it helps me in writing articles and I don't know why not even Golden Globe acknowledge the genius behind Cloud Atlas.

The most painful movie experience
Watching The Hobbit in 3D HFR 48 fps is painful. The scenes are weird and surreal. Just stop it with 48 fps, or 60 fps or even more. Just stahp!

My very own guilty pleasure
Habibie and Ainun. Annoying product placements and unconvincing make up aside, the 'based on a true story' thing is the real power behind it. It is not a fictional tale but a proven one. Although I still wanted this film to be more political and critical.

My sublime movie experience
I have to say, watching Lewat Djam Malam at the cinema as my sublime moment since it is a rare occasion that  get to see a classic black and white Indonesian film at the cinema. I feel as if I am transported into the past. Not only that, at the cinema only 10 people present. I always liked it when I watch a movie inside an almost empty cinema.
 
The most amazing female actress
Emanuelle Riva. At 85 she acted amazing in Amour. She should win best actress at the Oscar.

The craziest male actor
Javier Bardem in Skyfall is a freak and he should get nomination in the Oscar too. I also like Sam Rockwell in Seven Psychopaths.

I read the book before it was filmed
I already know the end of Life of Pi and put high hopes on Ang Lee. My hopes were paid off since Life of Pi is good.

Movie I really enjoyed but haven't got the time to review it

There are plenty, but  recall a classic titled, La Notte Di Cabiria from Fellini to be the one since I really like it. I am still waiting for my mood to wrote in my other blog.

The one I despised
If 2011 has Transformers 3 to be hate then this year Battleship is the culprit. That film is nothing more than just explosion spectacle mith mediocre acting and a template story we have already seen so many times.
 
The one I missed
I did not remember the last time I watch a film in the cinema which is being projected by a celluloid projector. I missed seeing those scratches on the film, or how a dark dot appear at the top right corner of the film, a sign that a reel is about to be done and must be replaced. Or how a projectionist misplace reel two for reel four, thus ruining the story and how some guy running away in a hurry carrying film magazine to be transported into another cinema, being a reel transporter and worst case scenario, a sign in the screen that says; We are sorry another reel has not arrived yet. Digital projection is good, but sometimes I kinda missed those old school stuff.

My favorite movie dialogue

    Charlie: Put your hands up!
    Hans: No.
    Charlie: But I've got a gun!
    Hans: I don't care.
    Charlie: That doesn't make any sense!
    Hans: Too bad!


Taken from Seven Psychopaths.

No comments: