Wednesday, January 02, 2013

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY ENJOY MOVIES WITHOUT HAVING THEIR WORLD VIEWS DEEPLY INFLUENCED FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES



I like movies because it is the cheapest way possible of entertainment and going to the zoo is quite boring. It is free on TV, a bit expensive on original DVDs and awesome on theatres. I am one of the common people who doesn't have enough money to have an expensive hobbies. Besides books, movies are my cheap escape and entertainment of seeing the world through a foreign window. Slowly but sure, it is not about cheap or not, it is about passion.

I began to like movies ever since I was a teenager. I remember watching Tai Chi Master (1995) and awed by the sheer awesomeness of Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh. Then I was a big fan of Hong Kong movies and familiar with Chow Yun Fat, Tony Leung, Ekin Cheng, Leslie Cheung, Michelle Yeoh, Andy Lau, Simon Yam, Jackie Chan and many more.

At that time, RCTI, the first private TV station, loved to air Hong Kong movies. I have seen Tai Chi Master 15 times and never get bored by it. Just like any other movie lovers I began with the mainstream one. 

There comes a time when I think Hollywood is the pinnacle of art and movies, that is until I encounter obscure foreign films in my late twenties. Now I believe that all movies are equal. I really like such movies where the stories are stronger than the visuals or the visuals are very beautiful and tells something deep. I also loves to see old classic films with characters wearing longcoats and swearing in Shakespearish manner. But I never watch two movies in the same day, it is too confusing. Just one at a time and whenever I wanted.

If people ask me, which movie I really liked then the list will be very long. I like any genre from any period of time, especially the one with good story.  Sometimes I do not have time to explain it and not all movies I have seen, I wrote the reviews here. Some movies I watch in quiet and I put it close at heart without writing the reviews at all.

Combining watching movies and writing is sometimes fun, sometimes tiring since I have to force my mind to think of something new. 

I believe that your taste does not gives you right to be more superior than others. I am fine if my friend loves to watch what Micheal Bay used to made and I will not try to shove my pretentious artsy fartsy movie to any friend of mine.

The more films you see, from any genre spectrum, the more rich 'experience' you had. I like seeing on how people in a foreign land lives, what they ate, what they said about this and that and the more foreign films I saw, the more I realized that whoever you are, wherever you live, whatever background you have we all wanted the same thing; a better life. But the road to it is always tricky and sometimes can be depressive, Ingmar Bergman and Tarkvosky-wise for sure.

So why do we hate each other for being different? Why can't we put aside our differences to reach our common goal and make this society a better place to live on for us? How come things this simple can be complicated? How come there are too much suffering in this world? 

In the mean time, keep calm and wash your clothes.

No comments: