Thursday, January 07, 2010

INVICTUS




Directed by: Clint Eastwood
Run time: 134 min

His people needed a leader. He gave them a champion.

When it comes to Nelson Mandela biopic I was kinda hoping that it is about his struggle, but when it comes to reality that it was about Mandela being the President and the South African rugby team, I am kind of disappointed. Not only I have no idea what rugby is, this event is largely unknown to most people beyond South Africa, like me.

However, having heard that Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon acted in this film (plus it is directed by my favorite director, Clint Eastwood), at least this film will not be that bad. The marketing team of this film realize that if they put Morgan Freeman on the poster, this film wouldn't apply to younger viewers, so they decide to put the blond but a bit tanned and bulkier Matt Damon in the foreground in the hope that it will attract more viewers.

This is the story of Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) who wanted to unite his post-apartheid country through a universal language of sport, in this case, the national rugby team to win the world cup of rugby with the help of Francois Pienaar (Matt Damon). The problem is, the Springbok, (the name or South African national rugby team) was universally hated by most South Africans since it is viewed as a "white man sport", will Mandela and Pienaar succeed in their effort to unite their country with rugby?

Although I have no knowledge at all on how to play rugby, but this film doesn't bore me at all with largely featured rugby games. The acting is top notch, Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon immerse in their character and has zero American English accent, it feels like I am watching District 9 the drama version, minus aliens.

But I feel there is something lacking in this film, the spirit of struggle and charisma of Nelson Mandela. It feels that this film will only have an appeal to South Africans only. Inspiring? Well, a little bit but at least this is a decent film about Nelson Mandela and SO, unlike the boring Goodbye Bafana. I wish someday some good biopic about Nelson Mandela's struggle in Robben Island prison will be made.

In case you wonder, this is the poem Invictus which the title of this film based on. In my opinion, it is a good poem.

Invictus
By: William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments: